Saturday, January 15, 2011

The best kind of bad news.

It's been pretty quiet around me lately, so I haven't been 'inspired' to write anything. Sorry for that. I think one of the reasons I haven't written is because I got some test results back a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to decide whether to write about them or not. I've decided that I will, though maybe not go into specific detail.

I went to see a new OB/GYN las month to get a second opinion on test results that I got after the miscarriage. I had what's called a hysterosalpingogram (HSG for short) to check the condition of my fallopian tubes, since I'd had an ectopic pregnancy. It showed that my right tube was dilated. Of course I spent a lot of time Googling that and read nothing good about having a damaged tube. My doc at the time seemed to think it was no big deal. Sure. I wasn't buying it.

So, fast forward to the new doc. She didn't think it was a big deal either (still not sure how I feel about that), but the nice thing was that she ordered a basic fertility workup for my husband and I since we had been trying for over a year, and it had taken 8 months to get pregnant the first time. (As a side note: she told me that the majority of  'healthy' couples get pregnant in the first three months of trying, and the rest take up to a year. Based on the number of newbies I see posting BFPs on the message boards, I can believe this.) The workup consists of blood work for me on days 3 and 21 of my cycle to check hormone levels and such to tell if I'm ovulating and that things are in balance, and a semen analysis for my husband. My blood work all came back normal. Whew! Huge sigh of relief! It turns out though that a couple of my husband's numbers are a little low. Nothing devastating, but it explains why things have been taking so long. It was the best kind of bad news we could have hoped to hear. It's still very possible that we'll be able to have the family that we've been working trying for, we just have to try a little harder and be very patient. Also, she referred us to a Reproductive Endocrinologist (RE for short). I think we might wait just a little bit for that as I'm not sure our insurance will cover it. I have to look into it a little more, but a lot of insurance plans will pay for you to get diagnosed with infertility, but won't cover much in the way of treatments for it. Go figure.

We're incredibly motivated again. A good place to be when you're trying to achieve a New Year's resolution.

3 comments:

T said...

Meggola- We have the same issue. The Re isnt cheap and my ins only covered testing. If you ever need to talk Im here.

unaffected said...

Meg, I'm so glad to hear something from you! I was wondering where you were.

I'm sorry that the test results weren't what you wanted to hear. But, like you said, at least it's the best of the bad news!

My insurance covers 80% of fertility stuff, so I hope you find out you have similar coverage.

I will be stalking :)

Anonymous said...

I think you have a good attitude about this! This is definitely news that you can deal with and there are lots of possibilities to overcome this. I hope that it doesn't get expensive. Some insurance is actually pretty good, surprisingly! Thinking of you and wishing you the very best!